Friday, February 3, 2012

These days...

"These days I seem to think a lot about the things that I forgot to do."

http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/journal/7-Reasons-Why-You-Should-Go-to-Art-School-214154871

Yesterday was good. Today was generally kind of stupid, but mostly because sick.

I can't tell if going to an art school is too big of a risk, financially. It's like...do I want to spend an exceptional heap of money going to a school that will surely put me ahead of a lot of other artists and might land me a really good job that I love? Or do I want to spend an average heap of money going to a school that will expose me to a larger variety of fields and people and experiences that may land me an OK job without leaving me in a huge amount of debt?

So basically...
(Potential job + some debt) vs. (potential really good job + a ton of debt)

The thing is, neither ensure me any job at all; only I am responsible for that. An art school would probably raise my chances of getting an art-related job (not that I can imagine possibly doing anything else), but a regular state school will still do its best without making my parents cry. And I'll be able to take music, and explore other fields. Maybe I'll pursue a career in something else--although I don't count this factor heavily in my decision, because I know what I want to do. Drawing and designing and making things is not something I ever plan to give up, it's who I am. But, I mean, what if my main job becomes performing? I love that, too.

It's choir. I love choir. I treat it as my job, and school is just on the side (although that's hardly accurate, considering the weight I put on my grades). But when I am assigned something in choir, I do it as if I am paid to do it, and I enjoy it. I want it. I want to do more, I want to get better, I want to share my voice and the way I feel with everyone.
There are traveling choirs. That is what people do. I kind of want to travel, don't want to be anchored forever in one place, want to get out occasionally. I don't think I would mind that.

But anyway, back to school things.
I want to be surrounded by creative, artistic people. However, I don't think I want to be around them all the time. My brain's argument is that everyone is different--it's not like at an art school everyone is the same and I won't make any friends or I'll be sick of the lack of variety. It's not like I talk to a lot of people now that have interests very different from mine. I mean, friggin' Robbie likes to snowboard, but that's not what we talk about. We talk about music.
He plays guitar, I sing. I'll be an Illustration major, maybe I'll have friends in Graphic Design, Studio, Animation, etc. Variety.
And surely they'll have interests outside of visual art. Surely I'll meet some musicians. Heck, the dorm building had a piano in it, for the students.
And I'll have connections at an art school. Big connections, from the professors, to the recruiters, to the students. Some, if not many of them, will make it big.

Note: Something I've always wanted to try my hand in--voice acting. With animator/cartoonist friends, I could totally do that!

But I mean, they have those programs at state universities, too. And some of those kids will do well for themselves.
The very successful are not limited to certain schools. It's all about what the person has got.

I am not limited to a purely art/design school. What have I got?

What should I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment